Tuesday, January 29, 2008

So one of the most well-known missionary stories of the 20th Century is that of 5 young men who went to Ecuador to tell the Auca tribe about how Jesus loved them and died for them. The tribe was notoriously dangerous and known for killing anyone from the outside who came near but these men had a calling from God so they went. They camped on a beach near where they thought the Aucas might be and they waited. Eventually 2 women and 1 man came out of the jungle and spent a day or so eating and trying to communicate with these five strangers. They left as quickly as they arrived. A short time later, the tribe returned to the beach and killed the entire team.
The next part of the story is what has gone on to fascinate many. The wife of Jim Elliot one of the men killed, Elisabeth and the sister of Nate Saint, Rachel, decided to go above and beyond forgiveness and go themselves to the Aucas. I have just finished reading Elisabeth Elliot's account of that time and yowza! I am humbled and inspired and challenged and....and.....and....
A lot of people have heard the story of those 5 guys (who were all in their 20's by the way, all married and all but one fathers) but not quite as many know about Elisabeth. This book (among many she has written) is called The Savage My Kinsman and is also full of amazing photographs of her year in the jungle. In her story she includes parts of a poem by William Cullen Bryant called "To a Waterfowl." It is now my favorite...

There is a
Power whose care
Teaches thy way along that pathless coast,--
The desert and illimitable air,--
Lone wandering, but not lost.
***
He, who, from zone to zone,
Guides through the boundless sky thy certain flight,
In the long way that I must tread alone,
Will lead my steps aright.

WONDERFUL! So there's your culture for the week. I know some of you are suffering without me ;). In other news, we had English School interviews yesterday and so far we have 5 students. I think there are more on the way though, you can pray that we will get 2 or 3 more especially male students as right now there is one guy and 4 ladies. It will be really good for him if he can have at least one other male student. We have 2 possibilities for teachers and it is looking like there is a pretty good chance that I will be teaching English with a girl from Korea and a girl from Rwanda. What an amazing mixed up world this is! I love it!

And just in case there was any question, I think it has been proven that Norway loves me! There is a Norwegian couple who is here at the base for a couple of weeks as they are looking for a place in Tanzania to make a long term commitment as missionaries. AND there is a team of students coming from their base in Norway next month. It is no longer just a coincidence. It has been lots of fun though, hanging out with these guys and practicing my norwegian a little!

And lastly I just have to tell about a conversation I was having the other day about some money. I was telling my dad that I had already taken care of one responsiblity so, now this bit here "is for luxuries, like apples, and toilet paper...you know...." Whoever imagined that I would conseider apples and toilet paper a luxury?!?!?!? hahahahaha.....

4 comments:

*ks* said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
*ks* said...

Ashley,

You're so amazing! I was talking about you with my home-church girls tonight...about how you are probably the most selfless and faithful person I know and that you inspire me every day. I know they are all going to want to meet you on your return! I miss you, but I am SO thrilled you are having this experience and that you are letting us experience it with you. Just know that THIS norwegian-american loves you and prays for you daily! Yea! Another shout out for the love of NORGE!

xoxox Kelly

KB. said...

Ashley,
Is this what the movie "End of the Spear" was based on? It was a beautiful story of real heroes of the faith!

--Kim.

Angela said...

Hey Ashley-- When you get back to So Cal let me know and I'll have you over to see our bulk sized bag of apples and toilet paper. They are things of beauty! ;)

Seriously... It sure makes you realize how spoiled we are here in America doesn't it? A friend of mine recently moved into the orphanage where our kids are and spent the first couple weeks searching for toilet paper until a team of missionaries brought some with the supplies. Amazing how such a little thing can become such a luxury. Your never the same after experiencing such things. I still marvel when taking a shower that does not involve a bucket and rainwater or brushing my teeth with water out of the tap.

Keep the posts coming, it's so fun to follow along with you!!!

Joyfully,
Angela