Saturday, January 5, 2008

decisions decisions...

As promised. The Toilet.
So I've decided to go ahead and commit to leading the english school. It's not really the vision I had when I planned this trip as it will mean that I can't be a part of the tailoring school but God kept bringing back this verse
"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.
see, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do not
perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and
streams in the wasteland" Isaiah 43:18-19
(thanks Siri)
and I'm pretty sure this is the new thing! It was kind of awesome because I was looking for some confirmation that this was the right thing to do and as soon as I said yes to it, several people let me know that they believed that this was why God brought me here at this time they just hadn't wanted to say anything before because they didn't want to pressure me..... But it's a good thing now we are hoping for one or two more teachers, you can pray that God will send us the right people!

The situation in Kenya is still rather dire. It seems to be mainly a problem of tribalism. Pray that God would break that spirit. It also seems to be a problem of an opportunistic and slightly shady leader... after the election results, he had himself inagurated within an hour. They don't usually wait the two months that we wait in the states but It's usually days at least, not an hour. There also seems to have been some extra votes counted for him. more votes than there are voters! Pray that the two candidates would submit to talks and negotiations with other regional leaders to sort this out and that they would no longer allow their followers to hurt and kill innocent people.

In other pressing news...I was just thinking the other day, wow... I have NO IDEA what is going on with Britney Spears. There is something beautiful and peaceful and freeing about that. And then I bought a newspaper yesterday...Can you believe it?!?!?! there she is....ay..... there is apparently no escape...

8 comments:

Angela said...

Praise God for confirmation! How exciting to get involved in such a great project!!! I wish I could volunteer for one of the teacher positions as I'm just itching to move to Haiti or Africa. Seems I'm needed by my family here for now so until God opens some heavy doors I'll live vicariously in Africa through you! Thanks for that. ;)

You do great blogging by the way! It's great getting to follow your adventures.

Joyfully,
Angela
www.makefunofyourday.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow...I remember using toilets like that in Italy...not fun! Thanks for the update! Isn't it exciting when He confirms our doubts! Amazing! If you connect with Else at all, can you let her know that I have tried e-mailing her several times on Myspace and it says I am not her friend therefore it won't send the e-mail, then I try adding her and it won't let me add her either and of course I don't remember how to spell her last name! You can tell her, yes, I am in love. God is Great! Thanks Crash!

Anonymous said...

hmmm spears in the paper in AFRICA... no wonder the rest of the world thinks we Americans are idiots... look at the wonderful representation we have...

that toilet is... well... at least its a toilet... handrails might help lol
especially for those with problems with their equilibrium...

annnnnnyyyway... hope you are hanging in there and happy to hear that you got some sort of confirmation for your work there....be thankful for that as it does not always come... I am sure you will be a great leader of the english school.... (after all you do speak english fairly well)... ;] ...and even if i didn't think so.... God apparently does -=)))))

love ya hunnie and I'll be praying for you...

p.s. Trivia question of the week:

What was the name of the inventor of the toilet?----------- Answer: Thomas Crapper

I crap you not that is his REAL NAME...thomas.... CRAPPER hahaha

love you

Anonymous said...

Ashley,
You are amazing. I just figured out what your blog name was so I was only now able to read all of your posts. I'm responding here, but I wanted to say how inspiring your pineapple reference is. How we take the small luxuries of life (like golden spoon frozen yogurt for me) as the standard of living for the whole world... and we know that's not true. I hope God gives you a thousand pineapples each day and reminds the rest of us to apriciate the pineapples and golden spoon in our own lives.
Jill Marquez

P.S. I just did a Brittany search on yahoo for you and Dr. Phil decided to cancel his indepth look at her life as an entire show because "the pop stars situation was 'too intense' for him to go forward with the show". Just an FYI. I'm sure you're thrilled.

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss Ashley,

You're blessed and your ability to adjust to any environment is a gift from God. You will be a great teacher and we know you will make a difference. If you get a chance, please contact Rick Motz, he would love to hear from you. He is part of a men's group that I belong to and I have shared your stories with him.

Keep your updates coming.We love to hear all about your adventures.

Yours in Christ,
Jim and Sharon

*ks* said...

Who's awesome? Um, that would be YOU! Ok, God is pretty awesome too! ;) I'm thinking about you A LOT, and my bible study ladies have you and Kenya in their prayers. LOVE YOU!! *ks*

PS: HI Ashley's Mom!! Thanks for raising such an amazing and inspiring daughter!!

Anonymous said...

Love you Ashley Rose! Hope you're having a good week. We have our last preview service this Sunday. Pray for us. Talk to you on SATURDAY!
You're the BEST! Love you MORE!
Mom

SomethingElse said...

Hey you! I cant believe you are doing so well (and that I meen in a positive way ofcourse!)
Oh, and I can totaly hear you laugh!!!
Miss you girl...ha, Im going to SD in less than two weeks....crazy.
And yes,,,Britney Spears is everywhere.....:D:D:D
I LOVE YOU!
take good care!
Liefs Else