Friday, January 18, 2008

"dat devil tryin ta bring me down"

WHEW! a difficult week this one... it seems like there was another problem at every turn! Starting on Monday when I came to town to use the internet and there was no electricity and then got trapped walking home in a TORRENTIAL downpour, soaked to the skin!!! Twice this week we were supposed to interview a potential teacher for the English school and twice she did not show up. I washed all my clothes and hung them out to dry and half fell into the dirt and had to be washed again. AND MY COMPUTER IS BROKEN! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Something is wrong and I'm taking it today to Regina's friend to have it looked at, please pray that there will be a way to fix it!!!! Not only is it important for me for communication but I will actually use it quite a bit in the English school AND Neema was using it to learn how to type. But somehow, in spite of all that (and trust me those were just a few highlights) I have managed to keep a good attitude...and it hasn't even been difficult! I'm reading a book about missionaries Heidi and Rolland Baker who have been in Mozambique for the last decade or so and when I know what God is capable of, it's impossible to be discouraged by any of it! I highly recommend Always Enough their book for anyone wanting to get God out of the box they've put him in.

Anyway, I know some of you are waiting for one more bit of news with anticipation. On Wednesday, the base leader, Timothy, came and asked if I could give him some help with something. Sure, I said willingly......then I had a memory. Timo had just been to visit the Maasai (a nomadic tribal people). The Maasai had given us a gift of a goat. OH NO, please Timo, please don't ask me to help you butcher the goat!!!!! He sort of playfully kept on and tried to get me to help him kill the goat! I actually almost cried just thinking about it. At home, I AM A VEGETARIAN!!! He let me out of that one and I made sure I was far away when the time came so I wouldn't hear anything. Dinner that night consisted of rice, beans.....and goat liver.....oh wait, it gets better.....Lunch the next day? GOAT INTESTINE SOUP! I ate it. I did. I had to pray that God would help me but I managed to swallow it all.

As Siri said, NOW I am a REAL missionary......

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sooooooooo proud of you!!!!
Now remember, after the flood God gave us the animals to eat b/c we needed food. And I know that's not exactly your case, but you are in a place where you need to eat the meat. And why would God give us something yuckie and gross to eat? It's all in your head. Let go of it and embrace the experience. (I know, easier said then done) Remember, Americans are the ones who dubbed one part of the animal "tastie" and one part "gross" Make your own decisions, who knows, you find you actual like some of it!!
Every experience you have there is priceless and designed by God especially for you! Good luck my love!

Angela said...

I'm not a vegetarian and the idea of killing the goat (or seeing it done) would make me cry too, and your braver then I... I would have passed on the meals. ;)

Sorry it's been such a tough week. So cool that it has not got you down!

I pray the sun comes back out to warm you very very soon and good times are back.

I am always excited to see you have posted again so there's more incentive to be praying for you and your computer. ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow Ashley,

We live such boring lives and eat ordinary food, but that's why God has called You! Sharon says she would starve before she could eat any of those things. It's all mind over matter, right? You know your doing God's work, when you are constantly under attack from the evil one. We have had many trials before us with our Mexico ministries, but we are not defeated. Be well and God Bless.

Anonymous said...

ive been laughing at an earlier comment for about 15 minutes - no disrespect intended to the writer- but i guess if u'll forgive the ludeness....it has something to do with "but you are in a place where you need to eat the meat"... i am truly hoping that no one reads this but you.... and if someone else does that they see the humor in it.... even though its a bit tasteless.... just funny when i read it.... i can picture schwartzenegger saying it and i die laughing....

Maybe James was right when he wrote about holding the tongue... lol sorry but i HAD to... forgive me all (and You too Lord)...

ok so i hope this will make u smile when u have bad days because i know i couldnt stop laughing for half an hour or so but its an e-mail about when u have a bad day at work....i guess it could apply to missionary work as well... ill paste here for your enjoyment and God Bless you for all the work you are doing.... you are in our prayers and remember not to give the devil too much credit for setting up folly around you... He gets a lot more attention sometimes than he deserves.... loveeee youuuuuuu.....

When you have an "I Hate My Job" day, try this:

On your way home from work, stop at your pharmacy and go to the thermometer section and purchase a rectal thermometer made by Johnson & Johnson; Be very sure you get this brand. When you get home, lock your doors, draw the curtains and disconnect the phone so you will not be disturbed.
Change into very comfortable clothing and sit in your favorite
chair. Open the package and remove the thermometer. Now, carefully place it on a table or a surface so that it will not become chipped or broken.

Now the fun part begins. Take out the literature from the box and read it carefully. You will notice that in small print there is a
statement:
"Every Rectal Thermometer made by Johnson & Johnson is personally tested and then sanitized ". Now, close your eyes and repeat out loud five times, "I am so glad I do not work in the thermometer Quality Control Department at Johnson & Johnson."

HAVE A NICE DAY AND REMEMBER, THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE ELSE WITH A
JOB THAT IS MORE OF A PAIN IN THE BUTT THAN YOURS

Kathy said...

Hi Ashley -- this is your cousin Kathy. :) Your Dad gave me your blog address today -- I love reading about your adventures! I think about you often and pray for you and your mission. I deeply admire you for following God's call in your life, and for gracefully (and with an awesome sense of humor!) handling all the bumps along the way. I look forward to reading more -- and I will keep the prayers coming.