Friday, December 28, 2007

VICTORY!!!


So, I have found a way to connect my laptop at the internet cafe AND there's a chance that I might be able to have internet from home at the end of January! Hallelujah!

There's a photo from the road as I was traveling by bus from Dar Es Salaam to Morogoro. I hope to get more posted for you soon. I am so excited that I will be able to use my computer after all!!!

Christmas was quite an experience here in Tanzania. After working all day to prepare for the evening festivities(cooking--well, in my case, chopping, theyknow better than to let me too close to food--moving furniture, decorating, etc) we sat down around 6 and had a little preaching from someone a few games which I didn't really understand and a skit that was funny even though I had no idea what it was about ;) then around 7 the first drops of rain started to fall so we all scrambled to get everything into the dining hall as the sky opened up over us and poured out everything it had. Just as we were all settled and the first people through the line were sitting down to eat. zzzzzzzap. the power went out. and stayed out. for 26 hours. we ate in darkness and it didn't matter. After about an hour someone showed up with a small camping lantern that served the room nobly from it's perch on top of a box on top of a chair on top of a table. We couldn't well clean up in the dark so we all walked away from our messes and left it til morning without the tiniest bit of guilt!

A great day overall!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello my sweetheart!! I am amazed by your stories! Im so sorry you havent heard from me for a while, I was superbusy with work, and my roommate left for a holiday and also desided to turnoff the internet, and closed the door behind her!So I only have internet at my work again. Good thing; she'll be back! (I hope!)
You are doing a litle better over there from what I understand from your last update?
Know that you are Save in His arms and His Love! God will not put you in situation you cant handle!! (i always liked that one!)
How are the people, are you making friends at all, or do they still think you are shy?? Im sorry, I just cant emagine you being shy...I tried really hard to think of you....and you being shy.....hm, nope...sorry...no way! They better be prepared for when you talk a bit more of their language!!! See how surprised they will be by then!:)
Oh, I got your text, thank you!Made me smile. I triet to text you back, but I dont think it worked...will trie again!
Ill be thinking of you on new years, and Im praying for you, Your on my special praying-list!
Love you girl!!!!
(Psalm 19)
Be blessed!
Else

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an awesome day, Ashley! I love the updates!

Your Cousin,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi my precious daughter. It was so great talking with you yesterday. It's hard to believe we can talk to you clear around the world. I am glad you seem to be settling in and are getting acclimated to such a different way of living. That's you though, Miss Adaptable. We're praying for you always and know God has you in the palm of His hand! How awesome is that.
Love you MORE!
Mom

Anonymous said...

well ashley, i am so incredibly honored to be friends with someone so incredibly dedicated to making a difference in the world. and yes, your loved ones WILL still be there in 6 months whether you have access to the internet or not.... miss you!

love, shannon