Monday, December 24, 2007

Only things of eternal consequence are worth the devil's attention.

Thank you Bill Johnson who wrote the book Dreaming With God and put words on that very important fact. Well into my second week here I am happy to say that God beat the devil. Not that there was ever much question that he would...

I'm still suffering from some technological difficulties but I am able to remind myself that people have been a lot farther away for a lot longer with a lot less than I have now and that the people I love who love me will still be there six months from now.

I'm settling in quite nicely here in Morogoro. It's a different life and full of exciting new challenges. (If I were not so technically challenged as I am at the moment here is where I would insert a photo of the toilet. imagine it and laugh.) I have been doing a lot of work preparing for the English school that will begin in January. It turns out to be a little bit different situation that I thought where they don't just need a teacher but actually need someone to lead the school. It's a four month program and I am still waiting and trying to hear if I should be the person to lead it. Right now I think yes, I just need some confirmation.

I am having a more difficult time learning Swahili than I expected. Languages usually come pretty easily for me and this one is a challenge. Everyone around says I am picking it up quickly but it sure doesn't feel that way for me. 100 points to anyone who has ever moved to a place where they don't speak the language. You have my eternal respect. It can get pretty lonely when you can't be a part of the conversation. I know that they all think I am this strange, shy, quiet girl. and while I may be a little strange.... You may not know this but I am a bit of a social person ;) so it's difficult sometimes.

well that's it for now.... there are so many little things that I try to remember as they happen but for now all I can think to tell you is that I spent the better part of the afternoon sorting rice for tomorrows Christmas celebration. literally going through what must have been 10 pounds (at least) of rice looking for husks and bits of dirt or stones and separating them out. who does this for us in our normal lives? we should find those people and thank them because their jobs suck.
Mungu Aku Barikiwe (God Bless You! see I'm learning a little!)
Merry Christmas!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Darling! Keep up the good work. Miss you and so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Ashley! I am so thankful that we get to hear from you. We had a great Christmas Eve service-a full house! Everyone is so proud of you and wishes you well. You get your language skills from your dad obviously because that certainly doesn't come from me. We love you MORE!
Mom

Angela said...

Merry Christmas Ashley! I met your Dad at church and he shared your blog with me. I look forward to following the adventure God has you on and look forward to seeing how He moves in and through you during this exciting life changing experience!!!

I'm praying for you and your family this morning as I know first hand how difficult it is to be seperated by another country from the ones you love at Christmas.

Joyfully,
Angela

Anonymous said...

thank you for my text message!! how did you manage that?? i am loving and missing you. i hope you are feeling all of my christmasy thoughts from the other side of the world and that they make you feel as loved as you are!
XOXO
-m

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Ashley and God Bless You!

It's good to hear that you are adjusting to your new home and that things are getting a little easier for you. You are in our prayers.
Our first Christmas Eve service at Vantagepoint was amazing and we had over 180 people. We set it up like the Passage, which was a little weird for some, but overall it was a great evening.

God Bless

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas love. I miss you so much. I am praying for you and can't help but to pray that you are able to share your bright booming personality to the people there. The fact that they have no idea what a treat they have! I love you. Parker and Josh send their love.

-KP

Anonymous said...

I hear you about the language barrier sister! I was there almost a year ago in Mexico! Being immersed in it helps tremendously! I have no doubt you will succeed!
¡Próspero Año Nuevo!