Saturday, December 15, 2007

Macintosh you've let me down...

Hey all I'm here safe and sound but having much less time to spend on this post than I had hoped. Turns out that the internet in Tanzania doesn't work on macs. what?!?!? I know. So i'm in town now (a 40 minute trip from the base) at an internet cafe... don't think I'll be able to do that too often.

I'm trying to keep this short because someone is waiting for me to go back but I just wanted to check in and let you know I'm here and alive. the first few days have been pretty rough. I've never really had jetlag before but this eleven hour time difference thing is killing me. I've been kinda sick and tired and blech but am starting to feel better today.

I will meet with the woman who is running the english school on monday to talk about what my job will be. It's been kind of rough emotionally I think its just all the new sights and sounds and everything, pretty overwhelming and there is definitely a sense of dependence on other people that I am not at all accustomed to. So, lessons to be learned...I'll be honest there are moments where I wonder what on earth I was thinking and I just want to get back on that bus to get back on that plane to get back on that other plane etc. but then I remember that God opened up this door for me and that in my weakness he is strongest.

I'll try to post maybe once a week we'll see what I can work out. It's not what I had expected but hey it's six months we'll be ok....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is amazing to me that i am reading a blog from you that you wrote in africa. i am so freakin' proud of you. sounds like you are keeping a positive attitude, just keep your patience and you will settle in and start doing the work you are so well equiped to do. Love you!!
ps- nobody has a computer you could use where you are?

The Seeing Place said...

The most rewarding experiences come out of times of stuggle. Hang in tight, once you get settled things will get easier. It's amazing that YOU'RE IN AFRICA! Oh, that's so strange even to write! I'm so glad to hear you have arrived safe and sound. Now go make best friends with whoever has a PC!
Is there an address where we can send you letters?
I LOVE you!!!!!!
-Allison.

Anonymous said...

Ashley,
I wish I could crawl through this computer and hug you. You have no idea how I have missed you.

I love you. This journey has just begun and I just know GOD has an amazing plan for you.

I can't wait to read your next blog.

KP

Anonymous said...

I hope things are getting a little easier. We were thinking about trying to get the other laptop to you. Do you have the name of the couple from Oregon that are coming in January? Maybe we can send it with them. Ashley, you are the most amazing...I am so...It's hard to hear of your struggles and not be there to help. We are praying for you always and know God is in this and there for you. We love you!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley,

We are happy to hear that you made it safe and sound, but are sorry for your struggles. Often I have asked myself why God brings trails as I am doing minsitry work, but than I catch myself and know that I am blessed in so many ways. I have had a trip to Africa on my heart for months, but the opportunity has not yet presented itself,so I will wait for God's timimg. May God Bless you and May you find peace and be a bright light in the darkness while you are in Africa.

God Bless - Jim & Sharon

Anonymous said...

Ladies and Gentlemen we have proof that PC's are better...

Macs dont work in africa.

I would love to see the smug little commercials with the cool mac guy and nerdy pc guy...

where the nerdy guy has these tribal smocks on. And the mac guy goes, what are you doing with those PC?

And the Pc goes...oh...you know that continent Africa...
your internet doesnt work there.
it just so happens to be the largest continent in the world...and uhh..you dont work there.

and the mac guy starts doing heroine.

Think different.

p.s. sorry its starting out rough.

Anonymous said...

Ash... if anyone is capable of adjusting to such a different world.... it's you... absolutely amazing and fearless you are (at least to me)....

Hang in... and know that God throws those difficult twists in for your benefit (although we hate hearing that)....

I love you... hang in

-Ronnie