Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"In today's sharp sparkle, this winter air, anything can be made, any sentence begun."


What a day! Regardless of how you feel about the man, the magnitude of what this country has accomplished today is breathtaking. I watched the inauguration of President Obama (Ahhhhhh!!!!! just to say it!!!!) from my new job at NYU today. I was working in the theatre where they simulcast the whole thing. (Watch history made AND get paid...nothing wrong with that!) There were about six hundred people on their feet as our new president was sworn in. For a generation so often criticized by our elders for our alleged apathy, I think we did alright.

I am not so ignorant as to think that he has all the answers or to put undue hope in what is ultimately just a man, but with our support, prayers, respect, and love, I do believe that he can lead us to a better America.

And for some musical theatre political humour (oh yes, it's out there) please check out this video of my friend Kelly, with whom who I spent this magical day, as Sarah Palin singing "Popular". Absolutely brilliant. My friends are so talented!

No comments: