Tuesday, February 12, 2008

thanks...

for all the various forms of virtual hugs I recieved in the last few days. I have been reminded by the super awesome DaveBircher (check out his blog, there's a link on the side) through the words of the super awesome prophet Isaiah that God's ways are not my ways and His thoughts are not my thoughts. I have no idea what He is doing here but I know that He is good and He is not working against me.

I got to go to church on Sunday in the funniest little place! There is an Anglican church just outside of town that is the perfect example of how missionaries used to do things. The church just belongs in a little english village somewhere.... all stone and arched windows and everything. It's not "african" at all! But it was nice and the service was in English so that was good for me.

So in a crazy turn of events here in Tanzania, the Prime Minister RESIGNED! They have a President here and a Prime Minister. From what I can understand the President elects the Prime Minister but the Prime Minister is really the one responsible for doing most of the actual governing. He and two of his cabinet were involved in some sort of corruption and all three resigned! It would be like George Bush quitting, I'm sure many of us have many different opinions on what that would be like but I'm sure we can all agree that it would shake the nation...It is troubling especially as Bush is expected to visit Tanzania this week because the US considers Tanzania a "stable" government in the region. No one really knows what the expected outcome of this visit is but you can pray that this new situation won't jeopardize the relationship between our countries and that the President will have wisdom in how to handle the situation.

Well, I'm off to slip and slide throught the mud and the rain to get back home....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's my HUG! Sorry it's late. I love you! When you get a chance I would love to hear what a typical day is like for you. Oh, and how is the "skirts only" going?
HUG HUG HUG HUG HUG!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley, this Tracey even though I'm using Toms account....I just wanted you to know I love you and pray for you daily. I pray each week is better than the last and that God uses you to bless your new friends in Africa. Heard about you fixing your friends washing machine, how cool is that!:) God is so great! love and hugs, Tracey

Angela said...

Wow! That's HUGE news!!! I pray God will place the right person in this newly opened position to the benefit of all!

It's so fun to read a new post from you! I wanted to share with you some of my excitement as well... I'm headed back to Haiti and maybe as soon as just a few days from now. Our children are not ready to come home yet but the next best thing... One of my best friends 3 daughters are so I'm going to go with her to pick them up and get to stay on for a little while to hang out with my kids and the kids at the orphanage too. So excited!! I'll be looking forward to catching up on your posts when I get back.

Another big cyber hug,
Angela

Dave Bircher said...

Okay, you are HYSTERICAL! I love it. Sounds like there is some pretty crazy stuff happening in Tanzania and the whole region in general. Actually, I just went to a debate/conference on the situation in Kenya today and...ya...pretty much things are not so good. I'll try and keep you posted. It seems like only the big stories get published in the West, but in SA people are most definitely talking about it. Hope you are well, my friend! Oh, and thanks for the nomination to President of the World...sounds sweet.