Saturday, May 24, 2008

Sorry it’s been awhile but last weekend, the grandfather of the guys who run the internet cafe passed away so they were closed all weekend for the funeral.


On a brighter note though, one of the things that I couldn’t share last week was that one of my students, Joyce, became a Christian! 


So a week of funny stories!!!!  Somehow, Timo, the base leader, found out that in English “hot” is the same as beautiful.  People are very free and generous with compliments here so you should hear him running around the base: “Good morning! You are hot, my sister!”  Bev and I have tried to explain that really it’s a little bit shady to say this to all the women you meet but he doesn’t seem to mind!


On Monday we learned about weddings in class and we were talking about dowries.  It is common practice here for a man to give a dowry for his fiancee and when Kanuti heard that we don’t do this in America, “Oh, I think I will go there!” he was practically on the next plane!


To learn about birthdays on tuesday, we had a birthday party complete with Pin the Tail on the GIRAFFE and presents and cake!  Yes that’s right I baked a cake!  I’m sorry, did you hear me? I BAKED a CAKE.... in AFRICA!!!!  If you haven’t fallen down dead from the shock, I’ll also tell you that it was even GOOD!  Most of you will realise that the “in AFRICA” is nowhere near as impressive as the “I BAKED a CAKE”  I explained to a friend this morning that at home, I’m the girl who brings plastic cups to the party.  But our little celebration was loads of fun...


I’m leaving Tanzania one month from today.  I’m getting a little bit more mentally prepared for it but emotionally I’m still a bit of a yoyo and I go from being tragically homesick and thrilled about getting back to really sad about leaving my new family here... but I guess I should be used to that by now....



3 comments:

the witless walrus said...

you're a funny one. life is weird. talk to you soon. <3

Angela said...

May it be the GREATEST month of your life!!!!

Anonymous said...

You baked a cake!! I am soooo proud of you! Next time I see you I will be expecting a cake. Seriously!
Oh, I miss you! I love reading all of these fun stories. They always cheer up my day.
Take care. Have fun this last month.