Saturday, April 12, 2008

Some SAFARI pics!








this giraffe was just standing by the side of the road posing for us.  

Our guide threw some cookies out the window to get these guys to come close.... Don't tell, we're not allowed to do this, she said... yeah right I'm sure she does it every time....



And last but not least, the elephant that almost sent me to heaven. Let's call him Steve:

Steve was walking down the road that we needed to pass and African elephants can be a bit aggressive!  Our guide told us all to keep our heads and everything inside the vehicle and not to shout andtold the driver to stop and let him pass. Steve moseyed off the road and she told him to go ahead slowly.  This caught Steve's attention and he turned back to us.  At this point just curious and probably a little scared himself.  We stopped.  Steve turned away.  The guide tells the driver "pole pole" (slowly) and our driver probably at once terrified of losing a) his passengers b) his vehicle and thereby his business and c) his life, decides instead to punch it and tears out of there, roaring past Steve who whirls around and trumpets that big elephant noise, sort of bowing like he might just take off after us at a full gallop and skewer us all one after another on his tusks like a shish kebab.  Thankfully he decides that we are no longer a threat to his peaceful afternoon and just watches us go. I could practically hear him saying "yeah.... that's right... and STAY OUT!"

3 comments:

SomethingElse said...

hey you!!! Its such fun to read your stories!! I miss you!
Things are good here,I got in contact with The Rock in SD and they do a project with Art and Music, so Im going to meet up with them when I get there in july! I need to focus though,Ive notes myself longing for the things that are in the way of me and God! But things are good! Im praying for you!
Next week...Ill get my own mac, so we should be able to talk than!!! Ill give you a shout! Love you girl!!
Be blessed and have a great day!
Else

Chris said...

I'm still waiting for the lion photos. Please don't disapoint.

cc

Angela said...

How cool to have an "I was almost killed by an elphant" story! Seriously... how many people do you know that can say that?

What an amazing adventure you are on!