Monday, March 17, 2008

Just in the nick of time...

SO this week has been D.R.A.M.A filled...
Started off Monday feeling all happy and excited because I was getting my 2-yr work permit that day...then no news on Tuesday.... still no news on Wednesday....Thursday I get the head exploding news that my permit has not been approved. Why? well, it could have something to do with the fact that immigration has NEVER EVEN SEEN MY APPLICATION!!!!!! There was some sort of mix up with the YWAM base in Dar Es Salaam who has been taking care of all the papers there and my papers have been sitting on someones desk for the past four months as they were making weekly(at least) trips to the immigration office to deal with all the applications....except mine. Oh and did I mention that my temporary permit expired on Sunday?!?!?!?!?!

Thankfully the guy who works in administration here has a really good relationship with the local immigration office and he was able to convince them to extend my temporary permit until I leave in June (more than a month longer than they are supposed to) It all ended up working out for the best as I've saved around $40 in not taking the longer permit but there were 24 rather panic-filled hours there.

I won't bother much with the safari news until I can post photos other than to say that it was amazing and that we were nearly killed by an elephant with tusks the size of ....well I don't know, the size of something really big and pointy....you'll just have to live in suspense for that story.

As far as school goes, the students are doing pretty well. We've started to get into some more difficult material but overall they are handling it nicely. What they really love? The hokey-pokey! It's great for teaching body parts and I've found that when we're all getting to the point where we're frustrated and tired...it's hokey-pokey time! No matter how discouraged you are (student and teacher alike) it is physically impossible to hokey-pokey and not smile...it's always a great tension reliever. The day is usually full of little moments though. Tanzanians have a difficult time distinguishing between "R" and "L" sounds so several times a week I have to remind the class of things like the fact that God is Holy....not "hory."

Well, I'm off to Zanzibar on Thursday! I'm SOOOOO excited! I'll try to post from there but if I'm silent for a while that's why. Ok. times up for today...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashley,

I am so glad that things worked out with your work permit. God's plans and timming are always perfect huh? I can't wait to see pictures of the safari! And believe me, I am waiting in suspense... what do you mean you almost got killed by an elephant?!
Your language story made me laugh out loud at work. It reminds me of the chinese corner store sign that reads: "FREE DELIVELY" instead of delivery.. :) I miss and love you dearly you my friend.
*J

Jill said...

Ashley!
Teaching is filled with awesome moments, right?! God is Hor-y. Right out of A Christmas Story. That's awesome.
The hokey-pokey story is fabulous. Sometimes when my students look like they've had too much, I play the clapping game from Hume Lake. I stand on a chair and every time I cross my hands (picture the dance from Can't buy me love -- only slower and more dignified) the kids have to clap. If my hands don't cross and they clap they're out. It does wonders for class morale and buy in.
Good luck in all your doing. Your posts make me want to visit Tanzania (but only visit... and with all the correct documentation).
Jill Marquez

Anonymous said...

Zanzibar sounds so wonderful! I can't wait until you get back so I can read an update. And yes, I agree with *J, What do you mean you almost got killed by an elephant?!?!
I need details! I love you! I miss you! I look forward to reading every update you post!
Kisses and Hugs!

SomethingElse said...

Hi!!! thnx for your texT!! :D
I cant believe the things your doing there?!! So awesome!
Im realy hoping that Id be able to visit you in New York!!
I miss yoU!
Stay safe and be Blessed, for Jesus is A LIFE!!!!
Love you heeeeps!
Else
ps.add my blogg too!!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY EASTER ASHLEY! I'm so glad to be hearing from you on this blog! I look forward to reading it every week. You sound like you're doing wonderfully there! And I know you're making a big difference in these people's lives. *hugs*

~Kathryn

Angela said...

Hi Ashley,

Just wanted to wish you a (belated) Happy Easter! I was thinking of you and praying for you and your family on Easter Day.